Training programmes for Early Years practitioners
We now offer a training programme which is specifically geared to support Early Years practitioners in their music-making activities. This echoes the methodology taught in our in-school programmes but takes into account the different approaches needed when working with babies and pre-school age children.
The programme comprises a series of training sessions, led by specially trained Music Tutors with extensive Early Years experience, and designed to equip practitioners from all types of EY settings with extended skills, repertoire and ideas for making music.
In addition, we aim to leave a sustainable legacy by selecting and training suitable Music Leaders from those who have attended sessions, so that they can in turn train and support other EY practitioners in a variety of settings.
By using our methodology, practitioners can help children to achieve the 6-point target in 2 dimensions of the Foundation Stage Profile:
Communication, language and literacy
- Speech and language - singing is an ideal language development medium
- Memory - through repetition of songs and rhymes, which are more easily remembered than words of speech
- Communication - call and response and actions during activity-based and group songs/games help develop awareness of others and encourage friendship and social interaction
Personal, social and emotional development
- Self-esteem and confidence - simple songs and rhymes are easy to learn, and
can increase confidence dramatically as children learn to sing alone as well as in a group
- Self-control - singing games can help children to follow a leader, be a leader, and wait their turn
- Cooperation and listening skills - songs and rhymes involve listening and responding to instructions
- Involving families - parents and carers can be involved directly in the setting, or at home where children will inevitably repeat songs and games they have learned
The programme structure is flexible and can be adapted according to your needs; for more information, please complete our enquiry form and we'll contact you to discuss your requirements.
Complementing this training strand is our exciting, brand new Inside Music Early Years book, packed full of songs and rhymes plus related ideas and activities... all designed to inspire and encourage EYFS practitioners in their music-making sessions with very young children.
This must-buy book is the initial, stand-alone phase of Inside Music - a comprehensive music education programme for children from birth to age 13, which we are currently developing.
For further details, click here to download a flyer and order form (PDF).